Monday, July 2, 2012

Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies


YUM! I love chocolate chip cookies...but they and my current weight-loss plan don't play nicely together.  Also, I don't want to feed my kids a ton of sugar, thus- healthier chocolate chip cookies.  They don't taste the same as regular ones, and they're not exactly health food.  But they're sweet enough to kill my cravings for a treat and don't make me feel like an extra workout at the gym is necessary!

I based the recipe on the one in my Betty Crocker cookbook...then ad libbed until it looked right.  The original had a total of 2 cups of sugar (1 white, 1 brown- which is white+molasses), 1 cup of butter/margarine, white flour, no flaxseed, and 2 c of chocolate chips.   Here's what I came up with:

1/2 c melted raw honey
1/2 c packed organic brown sugar
1 c unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
3 1/2 c whole wheat flour (I used soft winter wheat, for those of you grinding your own)
1/4 c organic ground flaxseed
1 tsp Rumford's Baking Powder (aluminum-free)
1/2 tsp Redmond's RealSalt
3/4 c chocolate chips

Mix the honey, brown sugar, applesauce and egg together.  If you're using melted honey that's still a little warm, wait to add it until after the flour is in, so you don't cook the egg.  Add flour, flaxseed, baking powder, and salt.  You may need less flour at lower elevations or if you've used regular honey...make sure the dough is stiff without being overly dry.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or spray oil would probably work too, but I used parchment paper today).  Scoop the dough out into the cookie size you desire and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until just starting to brown on top and cookies don't dent when pressed lightly with a fingertip.

Allow to cool, then place in a high location so your kids don't scarf them all in the next ten minutes! ;-)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment